Vegetarian Pizza Recipe
Vegetables are a great source of fibre. This Vegetarian Pizza Recipe goes the extra mile. We’ve added All-Bran to the base!
Kids will love this fun dinnertime option, and so will their digestive systems.
- Base (allow 1-2 hours for dough to double it's size)
- 50-70ml lukewarm water
- 1/2 tablespoon dried yeast
- 40g Kellogg's All-Bran (finely crushed. All-Bran can be added to any pizza mix)
- 110g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil, pinch, salt and pepper, Topping
- 75g tomato puree
- 1 tin tomatoes (425g) chopped and drained of excess juice
- 25g onions (chopped)
- 75g low fat cheddar cheese (grated)
- 170g button mushrooms (sliced)
Make the bases and the topping for these pizzas separately. It is possible to freeze them and use as required.
For the base
1. Pour 35ml of the water in a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Stir to dissolve, then leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
2. Place Kellogg's All-Bran in a resealable bag. Seal the bag, using a rolling pin crush the shreds into fine crumbs.
3. Sift the flour, crushed All-Bran, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Stir the sunflower oil into the yeast mixture until combined.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the yeast mixture, mixing to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Add enough of the remaining water little by little, until you have achieved the correct consistency.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth.
6. Lightly oil a large bowl and put dough inside and cover with cling film. Set aside in a warm place for 1-2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
7. When the dough is ready, remove the cling film and punch the dough down. Remove from the bowl and knead again until smooth. Roll thinly to desired size.
For the topping
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
2. Spread tomato puree evenly over the dough bases.
3. Add the tomatoes and the vegetable ingredients. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C or gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes or until the bases are firm and the top is bubbly and cooked.