Nutty Garlic Bread Recipe
- 50g All-Bran
- 150ml warm water
- 450g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 x 7g sachet dried quick yeast
- 50g butter or margarine, softened
- 6 finely chopped spring onions
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 25g peanuts finely chopped
1. Put the All-Bran into a large bowl with half the water. Stand for 5 minutes then stir in the flour, sugar, salt, oil and yeast. Mix together with the remaining water to form a soft dough.
2. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it’s smooth. Place in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a clean, damp tea towel.
3. Leave the bowl in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for a further 5 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 3 pieces.
6. Mix together all the remaining ingredients.
7. Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle about 30 x 20cm.
8. Spread the garlic butter mixture over the rolled dough.
9. Starting from one long edge, roll up each piece of dough- swiss roll fashion, to form a long sausage.
10. Place each loaf, seam edge downward, onto lightly greased baking trays.
11. Stand the loaves in a warm place for 30 minutes.
12. Brush each loaf with milk to glaze and bake in a pre-heated oven, 220 °C (425 °F) gas mark 7, for 15-20 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown.
13. Serve the loaves warm, cutting into slices to show the mouth-watering garlic filling.