Frosted Carrot Cake Recipe
A tea time favourite, with added fibre thanks to a hidden handful of All-Bran.
Serve a slice of this stunner with a spoonful of frozen yogurt.
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 75g All-Bran
- 225g grated carrots
- 2 eggs
- 150g vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp skimmed milk
- 75g low fat cream cheese
- 75g icing sugar
1. Grease a deep 22cm round cake tin and line the base with a non stick or greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour and mixed spice then stir in the sugar, All-Bran and grated carrots. Beat the eggs and milk with the oil and stir into the mixture.
3. Spread the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven, 180 °C (350 °F) gas mark 4 for 40-45 minutes, until firm to touch. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
4. For the frosting, beat together the cheese and the icing sugar and spread over the top of the cooled cake.