Deep Dish Chicken Pie with Pastry Lid Recipe
Creamy, steaming, and comforting, this pie is a delicious, high-fibre dinner idea the whole family will love.
Team our Deep Dish Chicken Pie With Pastry Lid Recipe with steamed broccoli for even more digestion-friendly fibre.
- 500g of cubed cooked skinless chicken:
- 150g carrots (diced and cooked):
- 175g potatoes (diced and cooked)
- 1/2 onion (diced):
- 50g defrosted frozen peas:
- 1 small can of condensed mushroom soup (Low salt option if possible):
- 60ml semi-skimmed milk:
- 60ml water:
- Shortcrust pastry ingredients:
- 65g margarine:
- 40g Kellogg's All-Bran All Bran Original
- 50ml cold water:
- 90g plain flour (allow extra flour to flour work surface when rolling out the pastry)
1. Preheat oven to 190°C or Gas mark 5.
2. Combine the chicken with the carrots, potatoes, onions and peas in a baking dish. Set aside.
3. Combine the soup, milk and water in a small mixing bowl, whisking to combine. Pour the soup mixture over the chicken mixture.
4. Place the pastry (see method below) over the chicken mixture, pressing along the edges to seal.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until the crust is golden and the pie filling in bubbling.
6. Remove from oven and serve.
Shortcrust pastry method.
1. Place the Kellogg's All-Bran in a resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag, using a rolling pin, crush the flakes to a fine crumb.
2. Put the flour, margarine, crushed Kellogg's All-Bran and pinch of salt into a mixing bowl.
3. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in enough of the cold water to bind the dough together.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.