Chilli Con Carne Recipe
A deliciously meaty dish that’s bursting with fibre, thanks to those traditional red kidney beans, and our addition – All-Bran!
Chilli is a versatile family favourite. Make this Chilli Con Carne Recipe as hot or as mild as you like.
- 450g minced beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped fresh red chilli (optional)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 75g All-Bran Original
- 25g tomato puree
- 410g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500m l vegetable or chicken stock
- Cayenne pepper (optional- for extra heat!)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Olive or vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large saucepan, cook the minced beef, onion, green pepper and chilli until meat is browned.
2. Remembering to take care when handling the fresh chilli pepper, remove the seeds and pith for a milder heat.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour.
5. Stir occasionally and check the consistency of the chilli. If it is too loose, with too much fluid, remove the lid for a while and allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
6. Serve with soft wheat tortillas or brown rice. Tasty tip- Natural yogurt is excellent for balancing the heat. You can easily adapt the recipe above to make a vegetarian version. Just replace the minced beef with 2 extra tins of kidney, borlotti or black eyed beans.